Malik Bilal Held in Connection with the Stabbing Death of Alonzo Beasley

Malik Bilal, 38, was held Wednesday on suspicion of second-degree murder while armed in connection to the stabbing death of Alonzo Gregory Beasley.

On June 6, 52-year-old Beasley was found suffering from visible stab wounds at 22nd and I Street Northeast. According to an autopsy, Beasley was stabbed six times, including once to the left neck.

Charging documents in the case state that a witness to the stabbing told police that Beasley and Bilal had been arguing for the past two days when, on June 6, they and others returned from a day of work at a construction site.

Bilal told Beasley to “leave me alone,” as he took a piece of equipment from his truck, the witness told police. The witness said they then saw Beasley getting something from a cooler in the back of Bilal’s truck, documents state.

Don’t touch my truck,” Bilal yelled before he swung on Beasley, the witness told police.

According to the witness, this ignited a physical confrontation in the middle of the street, which caused Beasley to fall down, charging documents say. The witness told police it didn’t see a knife and that it appeared Beasley and Bilal were fist-fighting, documents state.

Another witness heard shouting and Bilal say repeatedly, “I told you don’t touch my truck,” while hitting Beasley, documents say.

The witness told police that Beasley was trying to run across the street and repeatedly said he was sorry, according to the documents.

A third witness, who said he called 911 for help after seeing that Beasley was injured, told police that Bilal went to his truck and that he had a knife in his hand, according to charging documents. The witness described the knife as a “pocket knife with a silver blade,” documents state.

Charging documents say Bilal told another witness he was “scared.”

Bilal is scheduled for a preliminary hearing August 4 at 9:30 before Judge John Ramsey Johnson.

A copy of the charging documents is below.

blog comments powered by Disqus