Week in Review

In brief:

One homicide was reported this week in D.C.:

Charles Young was indicted Tuesday for second-degree murder while armed and four related weapons charges in connection to the shooting death of 21-year-old Rokeida Spriggs. Spriggs was found suffering from a gunshot in the 4900 Block of G Street Southeast in November 2013.

James Cornelius Robinson pleaded innocent Wednesday to premeditated first-degree murder while armed and three related weapons in connection with August 2013 shooting death of 30-year-old Jason Alexander Murphy.

A judge delayed the sentencing of Kevin Charles after the judge expressed doubt that Charles believed he was guilty. In June 2013, Charles pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed and conspiracy to commit a crime of violence in connection with the death of Steven Curtis Moore.

James Young, 21, and Tyrone Height, 22, were arrested and held in connection with the August 31 shooting death of Willard Carlos Shelton. Charging documents say that on the night of the shooting, a witness saw Height and Young standing with handguns, “shooting multiple times” at Shelton in a parking lot at the 2500 block of Pomeroy Road Southeast.

Judge Russell Canan sentenced Michael Poth, a former Marine, to 11 years and three months in prison for the fatal stabbing of Philip Bushong, a fellow Marine. Poth was convicted of voluntary manslaughter while armed in December 2013.

A judge sentenced Leon Smith to 24 years in prison for the stabbing death of Stephen Manuel Pool. In May, Smith pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and obstruction of justice in connection with the stabbing death of 45-year-old Pool.

James Walter Yates III was sentenced to 15 years in prison for the shooting death of Andre Pierce Joyner. Yates pleaded guilty to second-degree murder while armed in connection with his death.

A judge found probable cause Friday to continue holding Jeffrey Neal in connection with the beating death of Leon Young. At the hearing, a detective testified that a medical examiner in the case said Young was struck 28 times, including several times after a plastic bag was tied over Young’s head.

blog comments powered by Disqus