Patricia Cave will wait another five weeks before her trial on the charge of voluntary manslaughter while armed, after her defense counsel today told Judge Ronna Beck that she wouldn’t have the case ready in time for trial.
The trial was set for Feb. 21; it is now scheduled for March 19.
Cave is charged in the death of her boyfriend, Lamont Warren, who was fatally stabbed in June 2011. According to charging documents, Cave told detectives that she had a tumultuous relationship with Warren, that they frequently fought, and he had been arrested for assaulting her. She told police that when yet another disagreement turned physical on June 2, she picked up the phone to call 911, but Warren slapped the phone out of her hand and grabbed her around the neck. She said she grabbed a knife that was near the bed and motioned stabbing movements to detectives.
Prosecutor Charles Cobb said that Cave’s statement is the “main evidence” in the case against her.
Cave’s defense attorney, Santha Sonenberg, asked Judge Beck to delay the trial date because the defense’s investigation is continuing, with new information being developed as recently as Tuesday morning.
Cobb and Sonesnberg agreed that the case would likely be a one-week trial.