20-Year-Old Homicide Case Solved with Witness Pleas

A 20-year-old homicide case has been closed after two witnesses to the shooting death of Chet Hunter Matthews agreed to share details of the killing with police.

Matthews was 27-years-old when he was found fatally shot in Haines Point in May 1992.

On Monday Lamont Terry was presented with a charge of felony first-degree murder while armed in connection with the case.

According to charging documents, two witness to the shooting have agreed to plead guilty to participating in Matthew’s shooting.

Those witnesses told police that at Haines Point they approached a dark colored Nissan Maxima occupied by a man and woman with the intention of robbing them. Terry was armed with a double-barreled sawed off shotgun and he ordered the man out of the car. Others ordered the woman out of the car and made her lie on the ground. They searched the car for valuables and Terry walked the man to a grassy area and demanded money from him. While the man was on his knees pleading not to be shot, Terry shot him in the chest with the shotgun. Then Terry tried to had the gun to one of the witnesses, who would not take it. Terry then threw the shotgun into the water.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 20.

MPD’s press release about the case, and a copy of the charging documents, are below.

February 14, 2012

Arrest Made in the 1992 Fatal Shooting in the 1100 Block of Ohio Drive, Northwest

(Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch have announced that an arrest has been made in the fatal shooting which occurred in the 1100 block of Ohio, Northwest.

On Monday, May 25, 1992, at approximately 11:00 pm, US Park Police officers and personnel from DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the 1100 block of Ohio Drive, NW to investigate the report of a shooting. Upon arrival, they discovered an adult male suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was transported to an area hospital where on Tuesday, May 26, 1992 he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.

The decedent was identified as 27-year-old Chet Hunter Matthews of Washington, DC.

On Friday, January 20, 2012, 37-year-old Lamont Deshawn Terry of Columbia, SC, was arrested by the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force pursuant to a DC Superior Court arrest warrant charging him with Felony Murder while Armed in the shooting death of Chet Hunter Matthews.

On Monday, February 13, 2012, Lamont Terry was returned to the District of Columbia and was formally charged with Felony Murder while Armed.

blog comments powered by Disqus