Jonathan Fullard Sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Death of 20-month-old Keyontae Moore

Judge William Jackson sentenced Jonathan Fullard Friday to 25 years in prison for his involvement in the death of 20-month-old Keyontae Osbia Moore.

Fullard pled guilty to second-degree murder in the case September of last year, but sentencing was delayed pending a competency evaluation because Fullard claimed that he hears voices. Fullard was found competent to proceed with criminal proceedings in February.

According to the plea agreement, on March 4, 2012, Fullard was babysitting Moore, who was his girlfriend’s son, while she was at work. Fullard said that over the course of the evening he was “play boxing” with Moore and punched him five to six times in his upper torso. Around 3 a.m. Fullard called his then-girlfriend and told her that Moore had stopped breathing.

Moore died on March 5 from multiple blunt force trauma; bruising was found around his penis and anus.

A press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office is below.

District Man Sentenced to 25 Years in Prison In Killing of His Then-Girlfriend’s 20-Month-Old Child - Defendant Was Asked to Babysit for the Child -

WASHINGTON - Jonathan Fullard, 29, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 25 years in prison after earlier pleading guilty to second-degree murder in the killing of his former girlfriend’s 20-month-old son, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

Fullard, who pled guilty in October 2012 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, was sentenced today by the Honorable William M. Jackson. Upon completion of his prison term, Fullard will be placed on five years of supervised release. He also must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

According to a proffer of facts, signed by the defendant as well as the government, on March 4, 2012, Fullard was babysitting his then-girlfriend’s 20-month-old son, Keyontae Osbia Moore, at a residence in the 3000 block of 30th Street SE while she went to work. At about 3 a.m. on March 5, 2012, Fullard called his then-girlfriend and stated that the toddler had stopped breathing. Keyontae was initially taken to United Medical Center, and later transferred to Children’s National Medical Center, where physicians found trauma to his head, and body. The child died on March 5, 2012 from multiple blunt force trauma.

The District of Columbia medical examiner’s office ruled the case a homicide. The evidence indicates that Fullard was the only person caring for the child at the time of his injuries. There also was evidence that the child had been sexually assaulted.

Initially, when questioned by the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), the defendant provided a false name of “Jonathan Mason” and was released. After the child’s death, Fullard’s true name was discovered and he was subsequently arrested on March 12, 2012.

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen praised the work of the MPD detectives and officers who investigated the case. He also acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Kelly Blakeney and Victim Advocates Tamara Ince and Marcey Rinker. Finally, he praised the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney Cynthia G. Wright, who prosecuted the case.

blog comments powered by Disqus