Howard University Shooting Victim Identified as Omar Sykes

Metropolitan police have identified the victim of Thursday’s fatal shooting as 22-year-old Omar Sykes.

Sykes was found in the 700 block of Fairmont Street Northwest around 11:30 p.m. Thursday suffering from multiple gunshot wounds; he later died at the hospital.

Councilmember Jim Graham said in an email Friday morning that Sykes was a victim of an attempted robbery, and that a gun may have accidentally fired during that attempt. There is a witness, and there may be video evidence as well, Graham said.

A press release from MPD and Councilman Graham’s message are below.

From MPD

Homicide: 700 Block of Fairmont Street, Northwest

(Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch are investigating a fatal shooting which occurred in the 700 block of Fairmont Street, Northwest.

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 at approximately 11:29 pm, patrol officers from the Third District responded to the 700 block of Fairmont Street, Northwest for a report of a shooting. Upon their arrival, they located a male suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services transported the victim to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.

The decedent is identified as 22 year-old Omar Sykes of Northwest, Washington, DC.

The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons wanted for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at (202) 727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411.

From Graham:

Sadly, I must inform you that a 22 year old Howard University student was murdered at Georgia and Fairmont just before 11:30 PM last night. Another person was beaten.

My information from MPD indicates that it may have been a robbery that resulted ultimately in this death. A gun may have accidently fired during that robbery and beating. There is a witness, and there may be video evidence as well.

All of this must ultimately be confirmed. More information as it becomes available. Please pass on to others who may be interested

Councilmember Jim Graham

blog comments powered by Disqus