Grand Jury Indicts Jermaine Livingston on Charges of Accessory, Tampering, But Not Murder

A grand jury has charged Jermaine Livingston, suspected in the 2011 shooting death of 34-year-old Antwain Henderson, with being an accessory after the fact in Henderson’s death and tampering with evidence.

Livingston, 41, pleaded innocent to both charges. He was arrested in May 2013 on a charge of second-degree murder but has not been charged with that crime.

Daniel Quillin, Livingston’s defense attorney, argued Friday that the indictment represented less serious charges than those Livingston initially faced and that as a result the court should consider releasing Livingston from custody.

Judge John Ramsey Johnson noted the charges were “still serious” and recommended Quillen file a formal motion with the court.

Anthony Campbell and Phillip Glover are also charged in connection with Henderson’s death.

Police found Henderson dead in a burning car in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Authorities believe that he was shot and killed in Northeast D.C. in the early morning of Aug. 31, 2011.

Charging documents allege that Livingston helped move and hide Henderson’s body from police shortly after he was shot August 31, 2011.

During a preliminary hearing held in June 2013, Metropolitan Police Detective Gabriel Truby testified that a witness saw Campbell shoot Henderson in the head following an argument in the backyard of Campbell’s mother’s house. Truby said that Livingston was inside the house when the shooting occurred, saw police in front of the house, and went out back to warn Campbell.

Truby testified that Livingston and Campbell dragged Henderson, who was still breathing, into the house where they kept his body for an hour while police scanned the area. The witness then helped Livingston and Campbell clean up Henderson’s blood before they carried the body outside and put it in the trunk of the witness’s car.

In the preliminary hearing, Truby said that Campbell then asked Glover to tow Henderson’s vehicle to Maryland. Later, the car was found engulfed in flames, with Henderson’s body in the trunk.

The case is scheduled for a status hearing with Livingston, Campbell and Glover on February 14 with Judge John Ramsey Johnson.

The indictment is available below.

blog comments powered by Disqus