Murder Suspect Tells Police She “Had To Off” Her Mother

When police found Kieva Hooks at the intersection of 13th street and Columbia Road Northwest, she was crying and barefoot, with cuts to her wrist and neck. When asked what was wrong, Hooks told police she was “having problems with her parents.”

They are doing crazy things,” she said.

In a later interview with police, Hooks, 30, admitted to police that she fatally stabbed her mother, Tajauna Lynn Hooks.

Hooks was held Friday on suspicion of second-degree murder while armed. She was arrested Thursday.

Police found Tajauna Hooks unconscious and unresponsive in the 1300 block of Columbia Road Northwest on July 31.

Judge Karen Howze said it remains unclear what went on before Tajauna Hooks’ death, but she said Kieva Hooks’ confession to using PCP was concerning.

Hooks told police that her parents trapped her in the basement and that she was just trying to get away, charging documents say.

Hooks had wounds on her neck and wrist, according to police. She said she’d used a kitchen knife to cut herself in the bathroom, because she felt “bad about what I did to my mom, and I feel bad for my daughter.”

Hooks said she had a fight with her mother, according to charging documents. Something was happening to her in the house that shouldn’t have been, she told police, and she had a “feeling” her mother had been “touching” her daughter, according to court documents.

Hooks admitted to police that she killed her mother and had used two knives, according to documents. She described the knives as a “brown pocket knife” and a “regular kitchen knife.”

She told police she put the knives in the bathroom after she used them, and that, “I had to off her.”

During Hooks’ presentment Friday, an unidentified man yelled, “I love you Sis, remember that,” as he was escorted out of the courtroom during Hooks arraignment.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for August 11 before Judge Rhonda Reid Winston.

Charging documents are below:

blog comments powered by Disqus