Tyrik Brown Charged in Death of One-Month-Old Son

Judge Karen Howze ordered Tyrik Lamont Brown held Friday on suspicion of first-degree felony murder in connection to the October beating death of Raj’saun Tyrik Brown.

Police found the infant in the 1700 block of Trenton Place Southeast unconscious and suffering from multiple injuries in the morning of Oct. 29. He died at a local hospital. Brown, 19, was arrested on November 13.

According to charging documents, the infant’s mother told police that day she woke up the child at 8 a.m. to change his diaper and feed him. Afterwards, he was “smiling, awake, and fine,” according to the mother. She told police that thirty minutes later she laid the baby on a pillow in bed next to his father, who was asleep, documents say.

She said the one-month-old was quiet before she left to go to work. Court documents say that around 8:57 a.m., the mother received a series of text messages from Brown telling her that he’d cut the child with his fingernail while changing his diaper, that the child had milk coming from his nose, and had become unresponsive. The mother told Brown to call 911 and she herself contacted police.

In an interview, Brown told police the infant began crying the moment his mother brought him into the room, documents say. He said the baby was “crying loud.” and woke him up from a light sleep.

According to charging documents, the father then fed the child, not knowing the mother fed him earlier, and when he began to burp him, the child coughed up milk. Brown told police he placed the infant on the bed and he sounded like he was “crying himself to sleep.” He then noticed the baby breathing heavily, so he called the mother and then 911, documents state.

At the hospital, after seeing the child’s bruises, the mother told police they were not present before she left for work.

Brown is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Dec. 17 at 9:30 a.m. before Judge Rhonda Reid Winston.

Charging documents are below:

blog comments powered by Disqus