2003 Shooting May Have Been at Root of Antwain Henderson Homicide

A man police have charged with first-degree murder was shot by the victim in 2003 and may have provided information to police about that shooting.

That’s according to charging documents presented to Anthony Campbell on Saturday. Prosecutors say that in Aug. 2011, Campbell shot Antwain Henderson, then towed Henderson’s body in his car to PG County and burned it.

Charging documents state that Henderson had shot Campbell in 2003 and that Henderson believed that Campbell had provided police with some of the information used to convict him of voluntary manslaughter in connection with the case.

Campbell is the second person arrested in connection with the case. Sean Donnelle Hawkins was arrested in June. Another man named in Campbell’s charging documents is currently in custody in Maryland on a charge of first-degree murder.

According to charging documents in the cases, Hawkins told police that he was present when Campbell shot Henderson outside Campbell’s mother’s house in Northeast DC. The house was not lived in, but was used as storage for illegal narcotics and weapons, charging documents state.

Hawkins also told police that after the shooting he helped Campbell move Henderson indoors. According to the charging documents, Hawkins said that when Henderson stopped breathing he helped cleaned him up and put him in the trunk of Henderson’s car.

When Hawkins and Campbell could not find Henderson’s car keys, Campbell called someone with a tow truck and had the car, with Henderson in the trunk, towed to Maryland. Members of Prince George’s County Fire Department found the burning car and body later that day in Capitol Heights Md, according to charging documents.

According to charging documents, Campbell may have believed that Henderson was telling people that Campbell was “hot,” meaning that he cooperated with law enforcement.

The charging documents state that Henderson shot Campbell, and others, in 2003. He was charged with second-degree murder in connection with the shooting, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter, and was sentenced to six years. A witness in the case told police that Campbell overheard Henderson telling people that Campbell had testified against him as a government witness.

Campbell is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on July 26. Hawkins is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on July 20.

Charging documents are below.

blog comments powered by Disqus