Two men arraigned for murder of Antwain Henderson

Antwain Henderson‘s body was found in the trunk of his own burning car in 2011. On Friday, two of three men charged in connection with his death were indicted before Judge John Ramsey Johnson. Two of them remain behind bars where they await trial this October.

This indictment is the second delivered by a grand jury in the case; the second indictment adds charges from a grand jury for Jermaine Livingston.

Anthony Campbell, 34, remains in custody. Campbell pleaded not guilty to first degree murder, tampering with evidence and other related weapon offenses. Campbell is allegedly responsible for shooting 34-year-old Henderson in the head.

Phillip Glover, 31, pleaded not guilty today to one count of accessory after the fact and one count of tampering with physical evidence. He is the only one of the three men indicted who is not incarcerated and on release under high intensity supervision.

Livingston, 41, has the same charges as Glover but was denied release Friday. Livingston was arraigned in late January.

Charging documents state that on August 31, 2011, police responded to a gunshot near the 5800 block of Field Place Northeast.

According to police, a witness saw Campbell shoot Henderson in the head following an argument in the backyard of Campbell’s mother’s house.

When Livingston, who was inside the residence, noticed the police in front of the home, he went out back to warn Campbell. Livingston then helped Campbell drag Henderson, who was still breathing, into the house where they kept his body for an hour while police scanned the area, documents say.

The witness then helped Livingston and Campbell clean up Henderson’s blood, put him inside trash bags and then carried his body outside to the trunk of Henderson’s own car, according to court records. The witness said that at that time Henderson was “unconscious and making no noises.”

Campbell then asked Glover, another co-defendant in the case, to tow Henderson’s vehicle to Maryland. The car was later found engulfed in flames, with Henderson’s body in the trunk.

Judge Johnson said he denied Livingston release Friday because, “The time of death still needs to be ironed out.” A trial date is set for October 27.

**Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the number of suspects arraigned on Friday; two men were arraigned on Friday

The indictment is available below.

blog comments powered by Disqus