Week in Review

In brief:
Two people died last week in D.C.:

  • According to MPD, 44-year-old Ernest Harkum died Thursday evening from multiple stab wounds in the 900 block of Barnaby Street, Southeast.
  • Andre Pierce Joyner of Fort Washington, Maryland, killed in a shooting near H Street in Northeast DC, according to MPD.

Judge John Ramsey Johnson sentenced Jamar George Friday to 15 years in prison for second-degree murder while armed for the shooting death of 20-year-old Ronnie Speight Jr. George, 27, pleaded guilty in February to shooting Speight on May 26, 2011, saying, ““Yeah, that’s what happened.”

Ercell Overton, 33, was sentenced to 28 years in prison for the shooting of taxicab driver Solomon J. Okoroh and a subsequent shoot-out with police. Overton pleaded guilty in February 2014 to second-degree murder while armed two counts of felony assault on a police officer while armed.

Judge John Ramsey Johnson found probable cause Tuesday that 25-year-old Gregory Allen Green participated in the shooting death of Derrick Eugene Williams. Metropolitan Police Detective Ray Shields testified that a witness told police that they heard two or three gunshots, a pause, one more gunshot, and then moments later saw Green and another man standing over Williams.

Tracy Mathis was held without bond Monday on a charge of second-degree murder in connection with the death of 26-year-old India Chapple. According to charging documents, Mathis told police that he and Chapple were romantically involved in the past, share two children, but have been apart for about eight years.

Donald Dubose rejected a plea deal to accept guilt for a charge of second-degree murder charge and pleaded innocent to four criminal charges in connection with the May 2012 drive-by shooting that killed Michael Oshea Smith. Dubose is charged with two counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, assault with intent to kill while armed and first-degree murder.

Jermaine Brown was released from jail after prosecutors asked Judge Ronna Beck to dismiss the case against him. Brown was held for nine months on suspicion that he killed 31-year-old Randolph Scott Harris Jr.

Ladonte Hawkins and Rico Carr were released from jail on April 11 after Judge Rhonda Winston granted prosecutors’ request to dismiss their case in connection with the death of Kelvin Jamal Willis. The U.S. Attorney’s Office is continuing with its prosecution of co-defendant Robert Crowder.

Tisheena Brown, 31, waived her right to a preliminary hearing Friday where prosecutors would have argued there was probable cause that Brown’s actions killed her infant son. One-month-old Hakeem Brown was found unconscious and not breathing on September 18, 2013. The cause of death was later determined to be Promethazine poisoning.

blog comments powered by Disqus