Lester Williams, Marcellus Jackson Sentenced To Over 20 Years in Jamal Coates Shooting

These defendants are our city’s children, the verdicts against them are heartbreaking, the lives that they took were valued and the loss of those victims is heartbreaking,” Judge Lynn Leibovitz said before delivering the sentences of Robert Givens, Marcellus Jackson, and Lester Williams.

The three men, along with Keir Johnson were convicted of multiple criminal counts including conspiracy, murder, obstruction of justice, assault, and weapons charges. Prosecutors argued that their allegiance to “G-Rod,” a group living near 14th and Girard, caused the death of Paul Jones, Sean Robinson and Jamal Coates.

Judge Leibovitz sentenced Jackson to a total of 38 years in prison, including 25 years for a charge of second-degree murder. Williams was sentenced to 47 and a half years in prison, including 37 years for a charge of first-degree murder.

Each one of them had the resources to take a different path,” said Leibovitz. “Instead they have destroyed lives, violently [took] lives of young men just like them, loved and beloved by their community and family.”

Coates, 21, was shot and killed in September 2010 while leaving a friend’s funeral in the U Street corridor.

Prosecutors argued at trial that on Sept. 28, 2010, Brandon Miller drove Williams, Johnson and Jackson to the area of 13th and U Street Northwest. Jackson exited the car at 12th and V Street Northwest and gave Miller a description over the phone of the vehicle that rival gang members were in, prosecutors said.

Jurors found Johnson and Williams guilty of first-degree murder in Coates death; Jackson was convicted of second-degree murder in connection with Coates’ death.

Jackson “could’ve been just about anything he wanted” when he graduated from college, said Leibovitz, and his decision to become a “killer” is “tragic”.

Leibovitz added that he played a major role in the death of Jamal Coates, including “identifying the funeral of a human being” as a “good place” to commit murder, and later convincing his co-defendants to commit murder while he watched from a distance.

Delivering her sentence for Williams, Leibovitz said that not only did Williams shoot Coates, but he “laughed about it or bragged about it on the phone.”

I grieve for your child,” Leibovitz told Williams. “But everyone here grieves for the loss of the man whose life you brutally ended in a funeral procession.”

Johnson requested new representation and was not sentenced Friday. A status hearing in connection with his case is scheduled for June 26.

Outside the courtroom, Coates’ mother, Hollis Coates, said, “I’m glad the judge was really fair with their sentences. I don’t want nothing to happen to those boys, but my baby’s gone.”

A press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office is below.

Three Gang Members Sentenced to Decades in Prison For Taking Part in Conspiracy That
Led to Murders, Shootings and Other Violence-One Murder Took Place Outside a Funeral in Northwest Washington-

WASHINGTON – Three members of a criminal street gang based at 14th and Girard Streets in Northwest Washington were sentenced today to decades-long prison terms on murder and other charges stemming from a conspiracy to assault, kill, and threaten their rivals and obstruct justice.

The sentences, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, were announced by U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr., Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department, and Robert D. MacLean, Acting Chief of the U.S. Park Police.

The defendants, all from Washington, D.C., include Robert Givens, 21; Lester Williams, 26, and Marcellus Jackson, 25. A fourth defendant, Keir Johnson, 24, will be sentenced at a later date.

The men were found guilty in March 2014, following nearly four months of trial. Givens, Johnson and Williams were found guilty of murder and other offenses. Jackson was found guilty of murder, conspiracy, assault with a dangerous weapon, and related offenses.

The Honorable Lynn Leibovitz sentenced Givens to 30 years in prison; Williams to 47 ½ years of incarceration; and Jackson to a 38-year prison term.

The 14th and Girard gang, also known as G-Rod, 1-4, and the Cut Crew, was centered in the areas of 14th and Girard and 14th and Fairmont Streets NW. The group was engaged in a longstanding conflict with rival crews, especially ones that were based in the areas of 17th and Euclid Streets NW and the 600 block of Morton Street NW. The gang’s victims included Sean Robinson, 18, who was killed in the parking lot of a school in August 2010, and Jamal Coates, 21, who was killed following a funeral in September 2010.

Givens was found guilty of second-degree murder while armed in the slaying of Mr. Robinson, as well as a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon involving a second victim shot at the scene. He also was found guilty of conspiracy, firearms offenses, and charges that he committed the crimes for the benefit of a criminal street gang.

Johnson and Williams were each found guilty of first-degree murder while armed in the killing of Mr. Coates. They also were found guilty of assault with intent to kill in the shooting of another individual in that attack, as well as assault with a dangerous weapon for firing upon a third person that day. Johnson and Williams also were found guilty of conspiracy, firearms offenses, and charges that they committed the crimes for the benefit of a criminal street gang. Finally, Johnson also was found guilty of a charge of assault with intent to kill while armed stemming from a separate attack in June 2010 in which a man was wounded.

In addition to conspiracy, Jackson was found guilty of second-degree murder in the slaying of Mr. Coates, assault with a dangerous weapon involving an attack against one of the individuals with Mr. Coates, and charges that he committed the offenses for the benefit of a criminal street gang.

According to the government’s evidence, the shootings resulted from a longstanding conflict with rival crews. The government presented evidence of these and other crimes:

June 27, 2010: Johnson chased, shot, and attempted to kill a rival crew member in the parking lot of a gas station in the 3400 block of Georgia Avenue NW.

Aug. 11, 2010: Givens and others committed the murder of Mr. Robinson, who lived in the area of 17th and Euclid Streets, as well as the shooting of two 14-year-olds who were with him while they stood together in the parking lot of a school in the 2600 block of Mozart Street NW.

Sept. 28, 2010: Johnson and Williams committed the murder of Mr. Coates, a rival crew member, near 13th and U Streets NW, during the funeral procession for a young female with family ties to the rival crew. In addition to shooting Mr. Coates, Williams and Johnson shot a second person in the attack and fired upon a third individual. Jackson provided assistance to Johnson and Williams.

After the funeral shooting, the defendants took many steps to attempt to obstruct justice and avoid prosecution, such as trying to find and locate witnesses and in the case of two of the defendants, fleeing to North Carolina.

The men were indicted in December 2011, following an investigation by the Metropolitan Police Department, the U.S. Park Police, and the Drug Enforcement Administration. Two other members of the crew earlier pled guilty to charges stemming from their violent conduct.

In announcing the sentences, U.S. Attorney Machen, MPD Chief Lanier, and Acting U.S. Park Police Chief MacLean thanked those who investigated the case from the MPD, the Park Police, and the DEA. They also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the U.S. Marshals Service; the FBI/MPD Safe Streets Task Force; the U.S. Postal Inspection Service; the FBI Cellular Analysis Survey Team; the FBI Digital Forensic and Analysis Section; the U.S. Secret Service Forensic Sciences Division; the District of Columbia Department of Corrections Office of Investigative Services; the District of Columbia Department of Forensic Sciences; the Washington D.C./Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area; the Alexandria, Va. Police Department; the Marlboro County, S.C. Sherriff’s Office, and the Miami-Dade County State’s Attorney’s Office. They also acknowledged the assistance of Bruce Budowle, PhD, executive director of the University of North Texas Health Science Center’s Institute of Investigative Genetics.

They expressed appreciation for the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including former Assistant U.S. Attorneys Sharad Khandelwal and Joseph P. Cooney, who helped secure the indictment; Assistant U.S. Attorney Kacie Weston, who assisted with trial preparation; Assistant U.S. Attorneys Chrisellen Kolb and David Goodhand who assisted with legal analysis; and Michael Ambrosino, Special Counsel for DNA and Forensic Evidence Litigation. In addition, they acknowledged the work of Legal Assistants Kendra Johnson, Marian Russell, Sharon Newman, Kwasi Fields, Philip Aronson, and Benjamin Kagan-Guthrie; former Intelligence Analyst Lawrence Grasso; Intelligence Analyst Zachary McMenamin; Information Technology Specialist Leif Hickling; Victim/Witness Security Specialists Michael Hailey, M. Laverne Forrest, Debra Cannon, Tanya Via, and Katina Adams; Victim/Witness Advocate Marcia Rinker; and Criminal Investigators Durand Odom, Tommy Miller, Mark Crawford, and Christopher Brophy.

Finally, they expressed appreciation for the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Todd Gee, Emily Miller, Laura Bach, and Deborah Sines, who prosecuted the case.


blog comments powered by Disqus